They're putting up reindeer and singing songs of joy & peace ...
As the December holidays have come & gone, I am feeling grateful to be in a good space = good means that, personally, professionally & emotionally, I feel better than I did during the prior holiday season. In 2005 I felt sad, was struggling personally & professionally & although I was supported by my close pals, I had moments of misery.
To re-do a line from that wonderful jazz classic, what a difference a year makes.
As I have read blog posts from my must-read pals, my emotions have been struck by many things including
~~ the reflections of past holiday memories
~~ the loved ones we continue to miss to this very day, feeling their absence & their presence & the smiles & tears that those memories elicit
~~ the love we felt from those who surrounded us this year
~~ the quiet time we had that was used to rejuvenate our bodies & spirits.
As a new returnee to the retail world, my world has been pretty well consumed w/ work. And that has been A-OK: it's my 1st holiday w/this position & I wanted us to rock the sales chart w/better sales. Guess what? We did.
Two of the people whom I "answer to" were happy w/ the "what" & the "how" of what we did. We rec'd some lovely feedback from Staff colleagues & from our shoppers. We rec'd some sweet, careful & excellent help from people on Staff, both part timers & full timers. I have already been in discussions w/the people I supervise, the previously mentioned managers, my purchasing manager & our Merchandising & Marketing Manager about the year to come & what my plans, hopes & dreams are for the department. I am looking forward to the new year in this job.
My work hours were long & like Not Plain Jane, my feet ached like the dickens. And I would do those long hours again too.
The holiday celebrations for me were these: worked on Xmas Eve from early AM to 7:30 both at the job-job & a couple of kitty sittings in the AM & after the job-job. After that, there was a lovely dinner & party w/ close pals. I had a good day overall & although I was tuckered by the end of it, I still felt really good.
My actual Xmas day was quiet & I did bask in the glow of that peacefulness. My decision to "choose" to visit my three traveling client houses was a good one. It felt better to see those kitties on 12.25 & to then have the rest of the day off. And the Philadelphia Eagles won their big football game that night - woo hoo!
At work we have taken down the holiday gift items & the cards (our Knitter's Review holiday cards were highly successful!!) & we're readying ourselves for inventory on January 6. This will be the 1st one I have run as the department head.
Much love, light & peace to you for 2007. May it be a year of creativity, joy, positive tho'ts & actions, hot cups of your fav tea, purrs &/or doggy snuggles, captivating books to read, yarn & fiber purchases that bring on heart palpitations of delight & time w/those you love.
Happy early new year, my friends.
5 comments:
What a wonderful post, Martha. Love to you as 2007 rolls in. Remember to keep some of those wishes from your last paragraph for yourself, sweetie!
Happy New Year! I was so glad to meet you in person this year at the KR Retreat, and I hope the people around you truly appreciate your kindness and generosity.
Sweet Jane,
Lovely to hear from you. And I am sending tho'ts of love right back at ya.
Let's both keep some of those wishes for ourselves - deal?
XOXO
Lovely Lanea,
How cool & sweet to see a comment from you!
I have been reading your blog (actually since before the Retreat & a lot since then)& I have meant to write you to say how very much I enjoyed being in your company. You are quite the peach.
Look forward to seeing you in person & on-line in the near future.
XOXO
martha,
I got my SHEEP!!!
edmond and bonnie
I am still in shock
vi
Post a Comment