Sunday, February 26, 2006

Olympic Knitting
Sorry, Feather & Fan fans, my scarf is not done in time for the closing ceremony. To quote Doris Day, whatever will be, will be.
It is over 1/3 of the way done. I am not the fastest knitter around, no kidding on that one, & just was not able to put lots of things to the side so I could work on it. Work hours increased again & then there were my income taxes to do. Is that the theme from "Jaws" in the background?
Uck to that topic.
Back to knitting.
This is an enjoyable project & I will continue to knit this scarf.
Jane eloquently wrote of the completion of her gorgeous O.K. project & what she learned from it. Jane, you so wonderfully articulated how this affected you. You gave me good food for tho't.
+ I realize that I am still a pokey knitter & generally I am one of the last ones to finish anything.
+ The good news: I do finish almost all of my projects, just way after the others have finished their projects. (Many, many years ago when I jogged, a running friend & I participated in a charity run. Although I was in good shape for me, I was not a fast runner & had never done an organized run before. I'm not terribly competitive, more the cooperative type, & I was running just for fun. Luckily for me there were two guys who were in my same position of being a s-l-o-w runner & they insisted that we finish the race together so there would be no single individual who came in dead last. They were great guys whoever they were - we had never met before that day nor since.)
+ I am able to find nooks & crannies of time for knitting - it's the biggie blocks of time that elude me.
+ I have been working on only this project which is different for me. Variety is a beautiful thing for me: my hands do well w/working on an array of projects as the different yarns & needle sizes keep my hands from aching quite as much.
Thank you to Stephanie for suggesting this project. It's been a gas.



10 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you, Sweetie. Your list is so well put. It's very interesting to read what others have discovered about themselves in the past couple of weeks.

"Slow and steady wins the race" has always been my motto. It will be nice to slow down again!

Bess said...

But you've knit lace! Lace! Martha and lace - what a lovely sound. And, as you said, you do finish - so you will get to wear lace!

And look how far along you are towards wearing lace.

Shelia said...

I feel so much better after reading your post, Martha, and it puts my non-completion into perspective. I did have a great time knitting during curling matches this Olympics, and now I am daydreaming about 2010 alreasy!

Kathy said...

What a good way to look at all of this. The fact that you have learned something valuable and had fun in the process sounds like a win to me.

L. said...

I applaud you for even attempting to join the Knitting Olympics, Martha! :) That's more than I was willing to do since I know myself when it comes to completing my knitted objects, which is something I'm working hard at correcting. :)
Just be who you are sweetie, because that's more than enough!

Marfa's Mewsings said...

Jane,
Thanks for your kind words re my list.
It is interesting, I agree, to hear what others have said about this process.
Like your motto!
XOXO

Marfa's Mewsings said...

Bess,
Martha & lace - who knew those two words could be used together?!
This O.K. project scarf will be a gift for someone - I do plan to do my New Beginnings project for me in the Feather & Fan stitch however.
XOXO

Marfa's Mewsings said...

Shelia,
Glad you chimed in as you have been like me w/your O.K. project - close but not really done.
What was it w/curling this year? So many folks have spoken of it whereas I don't remember this much talk about it in years past.
XOXO

Marfa's Mewsings said...

Kathy,
Thanks for your comment (& your cool blog) & I agree: it is a win-win for me, I am still having fun & it is valuable.
Regards.

Marfa's Mewsings said...

Laura,
You have been finishing so many of your UFOs, girlfriend, that you have been inspiring many of us.
Always a joy to see a comment from you.
XOXO